Practice is the best of all instructors.
— Publilius Syrus
This is one of the most popular, interactive, and impactful workshops we offer. Why? It’s all about practice. Better still, it’s all about practice that is concentrated on real conversations that matter to you and your team.
The workshop focuses on deepening the conversational capacity of individual members of your team. A team with high conversational capacity, after all, is full of people with high conversational capacity.
A Skill-based Competence
“Knowledge is of no value,” said Anton Chekhov, “unless you put it into practice,”
The ability to converse in the sweet spot under pressure is a skill-based competence, and building it requires practice. (If something doesn’t require practice to acquire then it isn’t a skill).
In this active and engaging workshop participants will build their conversational capacity by preparing for conversations about their business and leadership challenges. The purpose of this workshop is three-fold:
- To help participants build their conversational capacity
- To build it by preparing for a conversation that will make a difference.
- To teach them a powerful approach to preparing for any important conversation that they can use for the rest of their lives – in the workplace and beyond.
Participants will be asked to bring in an issue they’d like to address – a relationship, process, or activity that isn’t working as well as it could; or a problem in need of attention; feedback for a colleague; or perhaps a conflict to be resolved. Whatever they choose, it should be something that matters – both to them and to the team or the business.
The goal is to find a place they can initiate a conversation that sparks an improvement in the workplace or community and to use that work as practice to build their conversational discipline.
In the workshop they’ll learn how to prepare for the conversation so they can conduct it in a focused and effective way. They’ll walk out with tangible new competencies they can apply to their unique issues and conversations. More specifically, in this workshop participants will
- Demonstrably improve their personal conversational capacity.
- Learn how to put together a Conversational Game Plan for important conversations they’re currently facing, as well as those they’ll face in the future.
- Learn how to use learning partners to prepare for an important conversation – a process that helps the partners as much as it helps the person they’re helping.
- Increase their confidence for engaging important but challenging conversations with more focus and skill.
This workshop is all about practice so it works well in support of every other course we offer.
Length: 2 hours +
Format: Virtual or in-person